Het DRG promoteam komt naar je toe!

Moderator: Moderators

leo-rcc
Site Admin

UK Champs 2010

Post by leo-rcc » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:42 pm

Happy New Year everyone. !!!

UK Championships 2010.

After what can only be described as a “learning curve”, UK championships for 2009, I think the general consensus was that people enjoyed it running throughout the whole year, although too much qualifying, and not enough 1 v 1 knockout rounds at the end.
Congratulations to Terrorhurtz who managed to smash its way to number 1 once again.
I contacted Robots Live, who didn’t have any plans for the UK champs, the FRA doesn’t appear to be very proactive at the moment, so once again I’m taking the bull by the horns !!

After a lot of thought, planning, and discussion with teams, I give you….
The 2010 Fighting Robots UK Championships.

We’ve taken the top 13 robots, and they will be the seeds for 2010...

1 ) Terrorhurtz
2 ) Maelstrom
3 ) Barbaric Response
4 ) Big Nipper
5 ) Ripper Evo
6 ) Meggamouse
7 ) And His Army
8 ) Tilly Evo
9 ) Iron Awe 5
10 ) Thor
11 ) Beast
12 ) St Hammer
13 ) Tiberious

Seeds will be rewarded just like robot wars used to do, they will be kept apart in the later stages of the knock out competition, and evenly spread through the fight order during the year.

For 2010, there will be 27 spaces for this years championships, on a first come first served basis, Sign ups are now open in the roboteers sections where you normally sign up to events, and they will close when we reach 27 robots, or at 5:00pm Friday 5th February 2010. Spread the word, and let everyone know they are open.

This year we will be running it more like a football league with the fights set out for each event, with the aim to get every robot to fight each other once only.
Once we have our entries, I will add the names into the Spreadsheet which will generate our fights for the whole year. There are 27 places available, 13 possible fights for each robot, and 117 fights in total. You will not be required to fight a robot more than once this year, the spreadsheet will make sure of it. Once the sign ups close, the spreadsheet results will be posted for all to see who they ae fighting and where.

I have spoken to Alan about this, and has agreed in principle that he may want to come on board, and use some if not all Robots Lives events as UK championship qualifiers too, the more fights we can do throughout the year the better, and I’d like to work together. If we can arrange this then we will let you know.

All qualifying fights will be 3 way melees, and the spreadsheet has been set up to accommodate this.

With points being awarded as follows:

• 1st place – 5 points
• 2nd place – 3 points
• 3rd place – 0 points

It is envisaged that there will be 1 competition fight available at each event throughout the year, hopefully this will be at both Roaming Robots and Robots Live events ( still to be discussed ). If we can get more than one for everyone then so much the better.

Now I’m trying to make this as open, and fair for everyone, so we will be dropping scores like we did last year, so it gives people a chance to miss events and not be penalised. Once we confirm with RL how many qualifiers there will be, I will decided how many you will drop.

As the fights will be set before the first event, and everyone will know who they are planned to fight beforehand, this shouldn’t mean you miss a certain event because you don’t want to fight them, everyone has the right to tap out in a fight, or even not enter the arena if they fear the other robot too much.

In the event of a robot being able to compete, then the fight becomes a 1v1 and points are awarded for first and second place respectively.
In the event of 2 robots out of 3 not being able to enter the arena, then the fight will not take place, and the sole robot available will be awarded the win.

On this note, please only sign up to take part in the championships if you are going to attend the majority of events, and not only one or two in the whole year, once the robots are entered into the competition, they can’t be changed.

The top 10 robots at the end of the qualifiers, will then go through to the knock out stages which will be spread over 2 events laid out as follows.

• Second Round – 5 x 1v1’s and a losers melee ( 6 go through )
• Quarter Finals – 3 x 1v1’s and a losers melee ( 4 go through )
• Semi Finals – 2 x 1v1’s ( 2 go through )
• Final – 1v1 ( 1 winner )

In the event of robots on the same points we will differentiate the robots places by the following order until we get a clear 10.

1) Number of points
2) Number of fights ( lowest wins )
3) Number of wins ( highest wins )
4) Number of seconds ( highest wins )

Driver Rule

For 2010, instead of it being one driver per robot, its one robot per driver, so if you need someone else to drive your robot…. That’s fine, as long as they haven’t driven any robot in the championships before. Once someone drives a robot in any one fight, then they are attached to that robot for the rest of the championships… no swapping around !!
Any team found to be breaking this rule will have the points while that driver was driving taken away from them. There was a certain team ( mentioning no names ) who did actually bend this rule… they won’t get away with it in 2010. You know who you are !!

Prizes
We will once again be fighting for trophies, for 2010, we will have trophies for the top 3 robots, not just winner.
It would be nice to have prize money but in the current climate the only way would be to charge an entry fee to events, something which I am personally trying to avoid, so for now trophies it is !!
I am talking to a couple of potential sponsors, but that’s for later to try and finalise with them.

Weight
As this is the UK championships, each robot should be in weight throughout the whole year. That’s 100kg + 2% including Gas.
Robots will be weighed at every event.

Well I hope you agree with what’s planned, and are looking forward to another successful busy fighting calendar.
Any questions feel free to email me… john@roamingrobots.co.uk, or post on the FRA Forum.

Regards

John
www.RoamingRobots.co.uk
Mvg,
Leo van Miert
Team RCC website.
Gentlemen, no fighting please. This is, after all, a council of war.

leo-rcc
Site Admin

Post by leo-rcc » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:50 pm

Ik had aan Jonno gevraagd of ik zijn email op ons forum kon plaatsen en dat mocht.

Het nieuwe format werkt goed voor mensen die naar veel UK evenementen gaan, maar voor mij houd dit in dat ik niet meer mee kan doen in de UK champs. en ik vermoed de meeste DRG'ers ook niet.
Mvg,
Leo van Miert
Team RCC website.

kos

Post by kos » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:27 pm

Dat was precies hetzelfde als wat ik dacht. Voor mij haalt het ook niks uit om met de UK-champs mee te doen. Blijkbaar hebben ze dan toch hun zin dat de UK-champs voor UK robots is. Misschien tijd voor een nieuwe European-champs?
Technically speaking, Whiskey is a solution.

Geoff Smith

Post by Geoff Smith » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:18 pm

I agree with you that this does not help the Dutch roboteers. I am not happy about it!
Do you want me to to make a formal protest to the FRA?
If you want to arrange a European Championships then you can count on the support of Team Torque to attend and help in any way we can.
I am in The Nederlands from 11/01/10 - 18/01/10 if any of you want to meet up and talk about this.

Happy New year to all our Dutch friends

Geoff & Jenny
It's not a question of mass... It's a question of velocity!

kos

Post by kos » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:42 pm

Geoff & Jenny, happy newyear to you aswell.

I see no need to make a protest about it as i have no idea how many events i could attend. A big event as RIAT is just as much fun or maybe even more fun for me then the UK-Champs. THe European-Champs was just a thought, no idea if its realistic at this moment.

leo-rcc
Site Admin

Post by leo-rcc » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:46 pm

Of course a happy new year to you and Jenny as well Geoff.

It's not that dissimilar to our feather competition in the Netherlands, you will need to attend a few to at least have a shot at the title. So in that aspect it is no real cause for complaints as such. However, most of us feel that the UK champs in in fact the de-facto continuation of Robotwars, and therefore it is quite a tender subject. For me at least.

Whereabouts will you be in the Netherlands roughly?
Last edited by leo-rcc on Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mvg,
Leo van Miert
Team RCC website.

kos

Post by kos » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:59 pm

I gues he will be near Eindhoven. :)

Geoff Smith

Post by Geoff Smith » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:09 pm

Hi Leo,
I understand your point of view about the UK Champs, my main complaint is that the FRA / DRG were not even consulted by John Findlay in advance of his anouncement!
We will be staying in the Eindhoven area, but we are more than happy to travel anywhere (within reason) to meet up for a chat and maybe a bite to eat.

Geoff & Jenny.
It's not a question of mass... It's a question of velocity!

Babeth

Post by Babeth » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:26 pm

It's the "UK"-Championships... so I guess John is in his right to do it this way. As Leo remarked, our own feather championships are set up the same way.

Yet the stimulus for non-UK roboteers to participate will be less now. Our main problem is travel costs. The ferry or chunnel is expensive when you have to use it at least once a month.
Time is also a problem: a trip to the UK takes at least a weekend, usually meaning a day off from work (either Monday or Friday... or both) and that is -for instance- Mario's biggest problem.

I guess we will be participating only for the fun of it, when we can. There's honour to be gained for simply being in the fray.

Geoff, fancy a trip to the cat-infested House of Chaos ?
[color=indigo]I think, therefore I'm dangerous.[/color]

http://thehouseofchaos.wordpress.com/

WJ

Post by WJ » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:51 pm

the ferry is only 40 euros for 1 car + 2 people.
Uk is not that far, even from the most northern part of holland.

Altough you could think about something like a sort of free pass to the finals for the 2 or 3 best robots from abroad ? Who ofcourse visited a few events...

Babeth

Post by Babeth » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:28 am

The cheapest ferry we had in all these years was 70 €. It all depends on what kind of discount you can get, what time of the day/year you are travelling, what company you travel with. Lately we have been paying between 100 and 150 €.
[color=indigo]I think, therefore I'm dangerous.[/color]

http://thehouseofchaos.wordpress.com/

kos

Post by kos » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:24 pm

Geoff and Jenny, you have a pm message.